Marriage: John Toun married Catherine Thorowgood [sic] on 7th April 1749 at St Mary the
Virgin, Dover Kent

Children: all baptised St Mary the Virgin, Dover [FMP]

William Toune baptised 11th July 1749. Buried 22nd August 1749

Elizabeth Toun baptised 21st October 1750. Gave birth to James Tune [indexed as June at
FMP] 'base born son of Elizabeth Tune' baptised on 8th September 1774 at St Mary the Virgin,
Marriage: Elizabeth Tune, spinster married Edward Head, widower at St Mary The Virgin,
Dover on 26th July 1777. Both were of the parish and made their mark. Witnesses were John
and Sarah Franks.
Children: baptised St Mary the Virgin, Dover
Edward Head baptised 18th March 1778
William Head baptised 8th December 1779
William Head baptised 31st December 1781
John Head baptised 28th July 1784
Richard Head baptised 10th September 1788. Buried 5th March 1789
Catherine Head baptised 21st November 1790
Richard Thrum Head baptised  1st September 1793. Buried 27th October 1793
Michael Head baptised 11th March 1795. Buried 29th September 1795
Death: Elizabeth Head of Middle Row Dover aged 80 was buried 31st August 1828, St Mary the
Virgin, Dover.

Mary Toun baptised 29th February 1752 [leap year baby] Buried 15th March 1752

John Toun baptised 18th February 1753. Married Sarah? Possible marriage is after the birth
of their children: John Tune, mariner of St Marys Dover, bachelor married Sarah Chester,
spinster of Deal by License on 21st April 1800 at St Leonard Deal. John signed his name,
Sarah made her mark. Witnesses were Elizabeth Bushell and E Foreman who both signed.
Children: baptised at St Mary the Virgin Dover
Elizabeth Tune baptised 17th April 1793. May have given birth to son Barrington Tune born
11th June 1820, baptised 20th July 1828, died 1830.
Sarah Tune baptised 23rd October 1795. Buried 18th May 1796 - infant
John Tune baptised 21st March 1798
Deaths: Sarah buried 1st February 1838 aged 79, abode Dover Union House.

Peter Toun baptised 8th March 1754. Buried 4th April 1755

Catherine Toone baptised 7th December 1755. Buried 4th September 1758 as Catherine

Peter Tune baptised 15th April 1757. Buried 10th September 1758 [six days after sister

Michael Tune baptised 9th July 1759. Buried 25th September 1759 - five days after mother
Catherine was buried.

Death: Catherine, wife of John Tune mariner was buried on 20th September 1759. Baby
Michael was buried five days later.

Who was John Tune? The following account from the Old Bailey makes for
very interesting reading:

THE ORDINARY of NEWGATE'S ACCOUNT of the Behaviour, Confession, and Dying Words OF
Capt.  JOHN TUNE, who suffered the 8th of December at Execution-dock, for Piracy; JOHN
SMITH and JOHN IRWINE, for Robbing on the Highway; AND NICHOLAS CAMPBELL and
GEORGE BARBER, for Forgery; Executed at Tyburn on Monday, February 2, 1761.
BEING THE First and Second EXECUTIONS in the MAYORALTY OF THE Rt. Hon.  Sir
NUMBER I. for the said YEAR.
Printed and Sold by J. DIXWELL, in St. Martin's-Lane, near Charing-Cross, for the AUTHOR:
Also Sold by M. COOPER, in Pater-noster-Row.
[Price SIX-PENCE.]

JOHN TUNE was convicted for piratically and feloniously boarding a ship called the Guilaume
upon the high seas, within the jurisdiction of the Admiralty of England, about three leagues
distance from   Folkestone in the county of Kent, and assaulting and robbing Bartholomew
Moy, the master thereof, of 104 pieces of white linen, value 140pounds and thirty-four rolls of
painted oilcloth, value 8pounds on the 5th of August, 1758.

It appeared on the trial, that the said ship was bound from Hamburgh to Bilboa and St.
Sebastian. It was now two years since the piracy was committed; in which time, several
material circumstances had slipt the memory of the principal witnesses; as Moy, Wyland, and
others, for the prosecution: they deposed, however, that the privateer, of which John Tune was
Captain, had fired a gun to bring to the said ship, and had sent a boat three times, with eight
or ten men, to examine their papers and plunder their goods; to which they could not, or
would not make resistance, being a free or neutral ship, and having on board only six men and
a boy. The Goods so piratically taken, were partly seized by the Custom-house officers at  
Dover; and the Guilaume being forced by contrary winds into the same port, discovered the
pirates, and brought some of them to Justice; the Lieutenant of the Young Eagle, William
Sterrick, and some of the men, were admitted evidence against the Captain, who was also said
to be quarter owner of this little sloop, of about twenty tuns, carrying only six guns, of which
four were swivels. The Captain, according to the witnesses story, would have sent his men yet
oftener with the boat to bring away more goods; but they seem'd to have more honesty and
refused to go again. They were assisted in this piracy by a man or two belonging to another
small privateer, in company, commanded by one John Johnson, who would not join them, nor
be concerned in this affair; while Capt. Tune is proved plainly to have been consenting and
active in it, both before and after the fact, by seeing, receiving, and stowing away the goods
when thus stolen; and also sharing them as prize among the captors and himself. Five sacks
of goods were taken; two of which were made seizure of, and three saved and shared by the
Crew. It seems as if none of them were apprehended and confined for this fact till a
considerable time after this, tho' quickly known by the discovery of the ship's crew.  John Tune
having been kept prisoner aboard for several months, it was not till Sept. 19, or thereabouts,
that he was brought to Newgate, in order to take his trial; where, on several occasions, the
following account of him and his Behaviour was collected from himself and others.

When he first attended divine service on Sunday the 21st of Sept. he seemed to behave
awkwardly, neither reading the Psalms, nor making any responses, had therefore some proper
advice and directions given him, particularly, as he could not read, that he would employ the
leisure of his present confinement in learning to read; in which a brother tar, and
fellow-prisoner for piracy, readily promised to help and instruct him; but neither of them
seemed to regard the performing this promise, being more inclined to other amusements,
neither so innocent or useful.
He was now in the thirty-third Year of his age, a Maltese by
birth, taken prisoner in his childhood by the Turks; and from them he escaped to the
French, and again from them he was taken by Capt. (now Admiral) Geary, being then at the
age of 13 Years, and has ever since been in the English service in different capacities, and
conformed to our Religion
. As he said he had served in his Majesty's navy all the last war and
part of the present, He was ask'd why he quitted the service? to which he replied, that he was
young and foolish, and had a mind to try for himself.
He married a wife at Dover about 11
years since, by whom he had several children, two still living, a girl of 10, and a boy of 8
years old.
His wife took pains to instruct him in the principles of the Christian Religion; and
would fain teach him to read, but he did not apply himself to it; she got him, however,
confirmed by the Archbishop of Canterbury at Dover. After he had incurr'd the danger of this
his wife was taken ill of a nervous fever (thro' grief, as supposed) which
affected her head and made her delirious, under which she languished, till death released
her on the Wednesday before he was apprehended for this fact, which happened the
Sunday following at Dover;
where, being put into a tender, he was carried to the Nore, and
put aboard the Princess Royal. After some months, he was moved to the Monarque, and then,
after five months, removed to the Princess Royal again, and thence to Newgate, as aforesaid.

Here a woman, who passed for his wife, often attended and abode with him, till a little time
before his exit;
and till the sister of his deceased wife, a decent and well-behaved woman,
came up from Dover to solicit and manage his business
; who, finding he was not married, at
last prevailed on him to dismiss this temporary wife, that he might the better prepare for his
death. During his confinement on ship-board, Lieutenant R - ts would persuade him to
impeach his officers and men, by the proffer of impunity and rewards; but rejecting this
proposal, he was ordered into irons because (as the Lieutenant express'd it) he had offended

Affidavits were made before his trial, that two material witnesses on his part were gone to sea,
and that therefore his trial might be put off till the ensuing sessions in March next:
notwithstanding which, it is said, he was persuaded to let it come on at present, as being an
hopeful time for mercy, on the accession of his Majesty.

It must be owned, that during his confinement before trial, he did not seem to think seriously
of his situation, as his behaviour was rather negligent, and his regular attendance at the
chapel often omitted or interrupted; whether to be imputed to his own careless temper, or the
insinuations of the company he kept in the prison, whose inmates, unhappily for themselves,
and the public, (and to the indelible reproach of what and whom I cannot say) being obliged to
no regular duties of industry or piety, are sure to grow worse, in a constant ratio to the time of
their confinement therein; so that the oldest prisoners can scarce escape falling into the state
and temper of fiends, or what the French term Les Enfants perdues.

Little remarkable happen'd from the time of his conviction till the death-warrant, or rather a
message for his execution was made known about November 21, and this coming thro'
different channels and by some mistake, two different days, at the distance of a week or two,
being named, gave occasion for the report of a reprieve being granted him, which had no other
foundation, as far as I could learn.

But the certain report of his destiny shocked and surprised him at first, as much as the
change of the day puzzled him for some time; because he had suffered himself to be buoyed
up with hopes of pardon from various quarters and surmises, insomuch, that he had hitherto
shewn less thought or care for preparation than he ought. But now he became more attentive;
desiring proper books to be lent and read to him, and duly attending prayers and instruction;
he had timely notice and proper assistance given, to prepare for receiving the holy communion.

In this interval, his halting between two opinions, appeared by a visit which he received some
days after his doom was fixt, from a person whom I found with him, and who, under pretence
of being his countryman, and that the Prisoner did not understand our language, was
admitted to his cell, as if to interpret to him; but whose business in reality, was to seduce him,
to the Church of Rome: But, when it was urged to this pretended friend, that he had professed
himself a Protestant from the age of thirteen;
that he had married into a protestant family at
Dover; and under that character, had enjoyed the freedom of that town for several years;
that his children, to the number of seven or eight were all baptised in the Church of
England; and lastly, that it is against the laws of this realm to seduce a protestant to the
Church of Rome;
this new intruder into our charge, thought proper to renounce his purpose,
and declare that he would give no more umbrage in this respect.

The prisoner afterwards made an apology for encouraging this visit; that he had hopes, by his
means, to have intercession made for his life. After this, he went on without interruption from
that quarter to prepare for his approaching dissolution; in order to which, he received the holy
sacrament, with serious devotion on Saturday, December 6, being to die the next Monday; for
that there was no intention to respite him appeared pretty strongly, from an assurance I had
the Monday before, that his chains were made: a circumstance of horror, which, in tenderness,
was carefully concealed from the prisoner. Being asked one day whether he slept well, and
how he employed his nights, he answered that he slept very little, but it was no matter, " he
should sleep " enough by and by."

Dec. 8, 1760. On the morning of execution, when visited, he appeared ready and cheerful to
do his duty, went up to chapel with alacrity, said he was well in health, and resigned to his
punishment, joined in the service, and again received the holy communion with devotion and
comfort; he expressed no signs of murmuring or complaint, though his devotion seemed to be
sometimes interrupted with messages to hasten him out, which seemed to alarm him with
some hopes and fears, whether it might not be a respite; concerning which, some evil minded
persons had applied to him the preceding day, for a sum of money to be employed for
obtaining such a favour; making no scruple to trifle with this most serious affair at this
important period, provided they could, make any little advantage out of it to themselves. One
would be almost tempted to wish that such inhuman merciless monsters could be made to
change circumstances with the poor criminal, whose love of life (so naturally and wisely
implanted in us all) they abuse to such sordid and wicked purposes.

This morning having performed his duty, he declared he was greatly supported and comforted.
He heartily thanked God for it; and added, with a seeming spirit and resolution, " he was as
willing to die as to live."

He was put into the cart a little after nine, and when he heard the expressions of pity and
compassion from the multitude around, he behaved with intrepidity, and said, " I hope I shall
soon " be happy."

Two of the runners had sat up with him, read to him, and prayed with him; they both agreed
he had behaved so well, that no man could behave better.

When brought to the place of execution, and tied up, he still kept his countenance serene and
calm; and when asked by me how are you my good friend, he answered, never better in all my
life: he was reminded, however, to think of his situation, and humble himself in a manner
becoming his present severe chastisement, to make this death a means of true repentance;
pardon, peace, and deliverance to himself, and a loud warning to others; for which purpose he
desired the surrounding multitude to join in prayer with him; having first intreated them to be
warned by his suffering, not to covet or desire any other people's goods, but to learn and
labour truly to get an honest living, and to do their duty in their several stations. We then
prayed for mercy, charity, and all the graces necessary for a dying person.

When applied to by me to acknowledge the justice of his sentence, he uttered a complaint, that
his trial had been brought on when he had a fair plea to put it off, on account of his witnesses
being at sea; but that he was encouraged, notwithstanding, to hope that it was a time of mercy,
and that he should not suffer, though convicted; a matter of which he had frequently before
complained. However that be, he was prevailed on now to suppress it, and to declare his
forgiving all injuries, whether real, or only apprehended. He was reminded that he had before
acknowledged fairly his share in the guilt, by consenting to the fact; and though he denied he
was any gainer by the piracy, he was silenced, by being reminded that was not his fault, but
owing to the seizure of what had been thus unjustly plundered.

He was again reminded, that the honour and justice of the nation required this exemplary
punishment to be inflicted, in order to deter others from ever again attempting such piracies,
so infamous and dangerous to the nation. He acknowledged the truth of this, and that he had
often thought of it before now: he again earnestly joined in prayer, confessed the articles of the
Christian Faith, was recommended to the divine mercy and protection; and then having made
a thankful acknowledgment of the services done for him, we parted, and he was consigned to
John Toun/Toon/Tune
Catherine Thorowgood

- of Dover, Kent -