Thomas Finnimore and Mary Carter
My Great x 4 Grandparents
Thomas Finnamore was born about 1788 according to his burial record. A probably baptism
is 27th May 1787 at St Giles on the Heath, Devon [sometimes considered to be in Cornwall]
son of John Finnemore and Ann
Mary Carter: no information at this time.
Marriage: Thomas Finnimore married Mary Carter on 5th April 1808 at Luffincott, Devon.
Witnesses were JamesHammett and John Venner junior.
Thomas was a husbandman and labourer residing at East Peak  and Luffincott 
in Devon. Thomas was deceased by the time of son Samuel's marriage in October 1841.
According to shipping records for son Samuel, they had both died by 1849. Thomas and
Mary's three oldest sons were put out as apprentices by the Luffincott Parish. This scheme
was in place to find work for children who came from poor families, those who could not be
cared for by their families or children who were orphans.
Their Children include:
William Finnimore: Possible baptism at Werrington on 1st January 1809, parents Thomas
and Mary Finnemore. On 1st April 1819 William, aged 10 was apprenticed to Willliam
Hooper of Hendon Estate, Yeoman of Tetcott. A possible sighting of William in the 1841
census is at Jesscott? part of the Hamlett of Northcott, Boyton in the household of Digery
Downing. William, aged 30 is an ag labourer. The 1851 census shows William aged 46 born
Luffincott, a pauper laodger residing with Andrew Morish and family at Ashwater, Devon.
There is record of a William Finnamore appearing at the Midsummer Quarter Sessions, 12th
July, 1825.Committed by S.F. Milford esq charged on the oaths of John Budbrook and Mr.
William Ash, with feloniously stealing on the 29th May, last, a copper funnell from the barge
"Majestie" in the parish of St Thomas the Apostle, the same being the property of the said
Mr. William Ash. Warrant dated 3rd June 1825. [comment: Imprisoned in Bridewell 2
months to hard labour].There is a William Finnimor [sic] of the 29th Foot aged 28 origin
North Petherwin, Dev, trade Labourer, listed as an Army Deserter on 20th February 1839.
John Finnimore born about 1811. On 14th June 1820, John aged 9 was apprenticed to
John Vennor [senior] of Cott and Greenslade Estate, Yeomann of Luffincott. ?? Married
Jenifer Philip 10th July 1833 Clawton??
Thomas Finnimore Possible baptism 15th August 1813, Week St Mary, Cornwall [FMP].
Father a labourer of Brendon [Cornwall OPC] On 10th May 1824, Thomas aged 10 was
apprenticed to Joseph Spettigue [estate Home Tenent] Yeoman of Luffincott. There is record
of a Thomas Finnamore aged 18 along with John Martin aged 16 committed to trial in the
lent assizes by William Nation, esq, charged with stealing at Alphington on the 1st November
instant, a maund and six fowls, the property of Robert Spark. Warrant dated 2nd November,
1833. Thomas was awaiting transportation when he was granted a free pardon on 10th April
1837 [FMP] - unconfirmed
Jane Finnamore baptised 28th April, 1816, abode East Peak, Devon. Father a husbandman.
Samuel Finnamore baptised 21st October 1821, abode Luffincott, Devon. Father a labourer.
Possibly Elizabeth Finnamore born about 1813 [a female servant residing at The Rectory at
Tetcott in the 1841 census] OR she may be the daughter of William, a private in the 88th
Regt and Elizabeth baptised 3rd February 1813 at Honiton, Devon [FMP]
Possible death for Thomas is Thomas Finnymore [sic] as 42 [DOB 1788] on 19th October
1830 at Luffincott.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The lane to West Peeke Farm
Luffincott is a civil parish in the far west of Devon, England. It forms part of the local
government district of Torridge and lies about six miles south of the town of Holsworthy. The
parish is surrounded clockwise from the north by the parishes of Tetcott, Ashwater, St Giles
on the Heath and Northcott. Its western border follows the River Tamar which forms the
county boundary with Cornwall.
The name Luffincott has a variety of early forms, first appearing in documents as
Leghygnecoth′ in 1242 with variants such as Loghingecote (1285), Lughyngcote (1330),
Loghynton que vocatur Loghyngecote (1346) and Luffencote (1577). Its derivation is cot
(cottage or small settlement) of Luhha′s people.
St James's Church, Luffincott is a Grade I listed building, declared redundant in 1975. It
stands near to the farmyard of Luffincott Barton, a mid-19th-century farmhouse and out-
buildings which were part of the Tetcott estate. According to Pevsner, Luffincott Barton is the
only other building of interest in the parish.