Henry Batterson was born in Histon Cambridge on 11th June 1815 son of Henry Batterson
and Edith Barker. He was baptised in Histon, Cambridgeshire on 19th April 1818, aged 2.

At some time Henry left Cambridge and travelled to London. It is possible that this was where
he did his apprenticeship or perhaps he came later looking for work. However Henry thought
he had found an easier way to make a living. According to the Central Criminal Court
Minutes of Evidence Book, Henry was indicted for stealing on 18th February a desk value 1
pound 13 shillings, the goods of John Burbidge; also on 23rd Feb a looking-glass and stand
valued at 1 pound 16 shillings, the goods of Giovanni Antonio Albino; also a clock valued 14
shillings, the goods of James Lawrence. On 27th February 1839 he appeared in the Central
Criminal Court charged with obtaining goods under false pretences. The following account
appeared in The Times Newspaper:

The Times. Feb 28th 1839 pg 7 Issue 16977 Col B – Police

HATTON-GARDEN:- Yesterday, Henry Batterson, aged 23, was finally examined before Mr Benett,
charged with having committed various robberies.
The office was crowded to excess by respectable tradesmen who had been plundered by the
Mr John Albino, looking glass manufacturer, of 47 St John Street, being sworn, stated that on
Saturday afternoon late, between 4 and 5 o’clock, the prisoner called upon him, and stated that
he was a master builder, residing at 4 Lowndes Place, Holloway Road, and, presenting his card,
said that he had to furnish the house of a gentleman, and he would be a good customer to
witness, and he requested to be shown some valuable looking-glasses. He was introduced to the
store-room, where he selected five, and told witness that he had a private friend in the
neighbourhood who wanted a looking-glass; and that whilst he [witness] was packing up the
others, he would take two of them to show his private friend. Witness sent his porter with him,
when he took him to the shop of Mr Austin, a cheesemonger opposite, and entered, requesting the
porter to wait outside. The prisoner returned in a few minutes with one of the glasses, and told
him to go back and bring another of a large size, which he did; but on his return, the prisoner
had absconded with the looking-glass, and on inquiry of Mr Austin it was ascertained that the
prisoner had entered the shop merely for the purpose of ordering a ham to be sent to No. 4
Lowndes Place, Holloway.
John Bulworthy, pawnbroker, of Aylesbury Street, Clerkenwell, proved that on Saturday
afternoon between 4 and 5 o’clock, the prisoner pledged the looking-glass, now produced, at his
shop, for 15s.
Mr Albino, identified the property as being that which the prisoner took away.
Archer, No 130 G, deposed having received information from the prosecutor, that the prisoner
had stolen the property and had attempted to defraud him to a considerable amount, he
proceeded to numerous brokers in company with the porter, when he discovered that he had
committed other robberies of a similar nature, and that he had given a large order to Mr Pearson,
of Wilderness Row, Clerkenwell, for furniture, representing himself, through the medium of a
large card as Mr Henry Batterson, of No 4 Lowndes Place, Holloway, and during Mr Pearson’s
absence he stole a Dutch Clock. Witness met the prisoner on saffron Hill and discovered that he
had offered the Dutch clock for sale at a shop in the neighbourhood. On searching the prisoner
he found a bill for 81£ 18 s for furniture which had been ordered at Messers. Seddons,
upholsterers, of Gray’s Inn Road, whom the prisoner had attempted to swindle by ordering the
furniture sent to Lowndes Place, Holloway, but on their arrival there it was discovered that the
prisoner was not known there but as a common swindler.
Mr Van, from the office of Mr Wooler, attended for the prisoner, and advised him to reserve his
defence, and he was fully committed for trial on this charge.
The second charge was exhibited by Mr William Pearson, furniture broker, of 28 Wilderness Row,
for stealing a Dutch clock.
The prisoner called at the prosecutor’s shop on Saturday afternoon last, and ordered goods to a
considerable amount, to be sent to Lowndes Place, Holloway, and whilst the prosecutor went to
bring his horse and van to convey the goods, the prisoner absconded with the Dutch clock.
The case being satisfactorily proved, the prisoner was fully committed for trial.
Mr Benett inquired whether there were any other charges against the prisoner, when a host of
persons pressed forward to exhibit charges made under similar circumstances.
Mr Benett told then that he would remand the prisoner until Friday next, in order to give them an
opportunity to trace property that the prisoner had plundered them of.
The prisoner, who was a respectable looking young man, was then taken from the bar.

On 4th March 1839 Henry pleased guilty in the Central Criminal Court [the Old Bailey] of
obtaining goods under false pretences and was sentenced to seven years transportation.  He
had no previous convictions.

On the 4th June a letter was sent to the Rev H Smith of Histon Cambridge advising that
Henry was to be transported. This letter was in response to one sent on 10th May by Rev
Smith. [FMP]  Henry was held on the prison hulk Fortitude from 4th March until 27th July
when he was transfered to the Barrosa.

Henry arrived in Australia on the
'Barossa' [Note: This ship is recorded in several places with
the spelling 'Barrosa'] on 8th December 1839. It had sailed from Sheerness in England on
3rd August 1839 with 336 male convicts aboard. The voyage took 127 days. Two convicts died
enroute. Henry's name does not appear in the journal of ship's surgeon John Wylie.

Henry's description from the indent of the Barossa is as follows. Henry was a carpenter and
joiner by trade. He was of the Protestant faith and could read and write well. He was 5 foot 4
3/4 inches tall, his complexion was dark ruddy and freckled, he had brown hair and brown
eyes. His eyebrows partially met. He had two moles on the left side of his neck, five moles on
his crown, two flags and an anchor on his upper right arm, seven small moles on his lower
right arm, a blue ring [tattoo] on the little finger of his right hand, a small mole under his left
elbow, a scar on the back of his knee and a large scar on the knuckle of the third finger of
the left hand, and a brown natural mark inside the right leg.  A newspaper report of the day
describes him as 'a respectable looking young man'.

Henry is mentioned as missing from the New Military Barracks Stockade since the fifth
instant [5th December 1841?] He is also listed as being apprehended in early January 1842
in the same Gazette. He is admitted to Newcastle prison on 9th January 1842 and where his
description is recorded as 5 foot 5 1/2 inches tall, stout build, fresh complexion, brown hair
and eyes, several small moles on lower right arm, scar on left thigh. It appears he was to be
transferred to Sydney on 10th January [Ancestry]

In 1845 Henry applied for and was given permission to marry Jane SCOTT aged 19, a free
immigrant who arrived on the
Mangles. The application was made at Woodward, Port
Macquarie. For whatever reason, the marriage did not take place.
On 21st September 1846, Henry was granted a Ticket of Leave [1294]. This meant that Henry
was permitted to take employment for his own benefit, acquire property but had to remain in
the District of Port Macquarie
On 18th October 1847, Henry was granted a Ticket of Leave Passport [47/691]. This allowed
him to travel out of the Port Macquarie District and to " remain in the service of W.H.
Chapman [Esq?] at the Macleay River for 12 months."  On 29th January 1848 he was granted
his Certificate of Freedom.

Marriage: On 16th February 1848 Henry married Hannah [Anna] Hickson, nee Waites,
widow of
Peter Hickson. The marriage took place at Yarrabandini and both Henry and
Hannah are recorded as residing there.  Yarrabandini was the property of W.H. Chapman,
Henry's employer. Henry is recorded as being a member of the Presbyterian Church of
Scotland at the time of his marriage. Curiously he signs his name with an X although his
convict indent records him as being able to read and write well. The witnesses were George
and Margaret Clarke of Yarrabandini who both signed with an X. Wm McNamara was the
witness to the mark of the second witness. The minister was Rev William Purves.

Hannah and Henry had the following children:

BATTERSON;  Henry Charles  born 1849. Died 13th September 1873.

BATTERSON; Edith born 1850. Married George GRANT, Macleay River 1868

BATTERSON; Charlotte, born 18th February, 1852. Married Thomas BENSON, Macleay
River, 6th January, 1875.

BATTERSON; William born 1853 Macleay River. He died 20th May, 1924 in Kempsey.
Married 1:  
Hannah JEFFERY, Macleay River 1774. Hannah died in 1875. Cause of death
was probably childbirth related. The birth and death of daughter
Hannah Sophia is also
recorded at this time. Married 2:
Elizabeth BRENTON Macleay River 1876. Died 1915

BATTERSON; Frederick, born 1855. Died 1827 Kempsey. Married Mary JEFFERY at
Macleay River in 1876. Mary may have been the cousin of Frederick's brother William's first
wife Hannah Jeffery. A possible death for Frederick is in 1927.

BATTERSON; Alice, born 1858, Macleay River.  There is no further record of Alice

BATTERSON; Ellen died 1862 Macleay River. Is it possible that Alice and Ellen are one and
the same? Only one daughter is listed as deceased on the death certificates of both Henry
and Hannah.

On 10th November 1856, stepson Thomas Henry Hickson married Ann Fogarty at Henry
Batterson's house at Pleasant Point Kempsey.

Maitland Mercury dated 26th September 1867 reported:
A lad named Batterson, on the
Bellinger, also narrowly escaped being killed by a limb falling on him; fortunately, however,
the limb was forked, and the prongs stuck, one on each side of his neck, pinning him to the
ground, When released he was insensible, and was found with an ugly scalp wound, but he
has now recovered.

Greville's Post Office Directory of 1872 lists Henry as a farmer at Nambucca.

The Sydney Morning Herald published Wednesday 17th August 1870 reports via their
Nambucca River correspondent from the Macleay Herald, that Mr Henry Batterson is building
one, of two small sugar cane crushing mills which will commence crushing about the
beginning of September. The other mill is owned by George Grant, husband of daughter

The Sydney Morning Herald dated Saturday 6th April 1872 reports that the Government
Gazette published yesterday says Mr H Batterson's tender had been accepted for the lease of
the Nambucca Ferry.

The book Red Cedar tells that Henry Batterson had eight acres of [sugar?] cane. He also had
a mill on the south bank of the ???[Nambucca?] river.

In 1888, Ann/e Hickson [possibly Hannah's son Thomas' wife, Ann nee Fogarty] is charged
with stealing between 4 and 5 pound from the dwelling of Henry Batterson of Frederickton
she was arrested by Constable Morris of Frederickton and appeared in the Kempsey Quarter
Sessions where she was fined 40 pounds and sureties of twenty pounds.

Deaths: Henry died on 13th July, 1895 at Frederickton. Cause of death was cancer of the
liver from which he had been suffering for some months. The informant was son Frederick
Batterson who made his mark rather than signed the form. This would indicate he could not
write.  Henry was buried at Frederickton Cemetery on 15th July 1895. The undertaker was
John G Rowe. Malcolm Watts, Salvation Army Captain was the attending minister.

Hannah died on 19th October 1898 at Frederickton. Cause of death was heart disease which
she had suffered for some months. The informant was son Frederick Batterson. Hannah was
buried on 21st October 1898 in the Frederickton Cemetery. John G Rowe was the
undertaker. G Walker PRO was the attending Minister for the Salvation Army.
Henry Batterson

- a respectable looking young man -